Friday 10 January 2014

More Texturing...

After deciding on what eyes I wanted my bot to have I started on the main texturing, I started by making a base white shade and adding some scuffs and scratches too it. I then gave everything that needed a different base colour a colour and then refined them more and more.
Base colours
Finished Diffuse
After finishing my diffuse map, I then it to create a normal map using the Nvidea Normal plug-in for Adobe Photoshop and played around with it until I got the right looking normal map for my model. I then applied the normal to my 3D model in max and baked an ambient occlusion map using the normal map and a skylight.
Normal map and AO bake 
After this I created a few renders of my robot to show my diffuse, ao and normals I then posted them online to get some feedback and critiques on my work.
Diffuse only [back]
Diffuse only [front]


















Once I had gotten some feedback off of the internet, I decided to create some self illumination maps for the eyes and the jet underneath which wasn't to hard in Photoshop, I just rendered everything I didn't want lit up in black.

Self illumination maps in action
Note : The textured robot as you may have noticed has less geometry, this is because I went back and forth between texturing and modeling as I added more useful geometry,updated UV maps and fixed numerous other problems [due to lack of modeling experience] but eventually got back in the swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment