Thursday 12 December 2013

Robot - Arms and Backpack

Also this week I have created the arms and back pack for my for my robot, I didn't find these to difficult as they are simple to model. With the arms I started from a cube and just started pulling and pushing vertices and adding edge loops until I got the right form for the arm, I then added a thumb (or what a robot version of a thumb is) so that he could pick up items with ease, Then I added a cylindrical joint so that he could move his thumb in a pincer style movement. I also tapered his fingers slightly again to ease picking up items.
Showing the open and closed hand and different elements.
I also created a little screw style hinge to attach the arms to the body, I just made a cylinder and extruded an edge inwards to create the flat headed screw look. 
With the back pack, I started from a box and added relevant edge loops to match with my turnaround and extruded sections accordingly. With the modelling I have tried to have as little triangles as possible and keep the majority of the model in quads. But this has been hard.
The backpack wasn't too difficult as it is a very basic shape and took up very little of my time, I will add all of the surface details within mudbox or zbrush and then bake the normals down for my lo poly model.

This is my finished (well I say finished) lo poly robot.


I still have to sort out the smoothing groups and ngons (if there are any...i hope not) on this model and unwrap him ready for the texturing and sculpting stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment